Saturday, February 7, 2009

The opposite of progress


This week Congress voted to delay the digital television transition date until June 12. Apparently there are people who are not ready to make this switch. I have no idea who any of these people are. This law was passed in February of 2006. If three years wasn't enough time, how is another four months going to make any difference? The main reason given for the delay is that the government subsidy program for the converter boxes has run out of money. In a time where the economy is in the toilet anyway, why is the government spending money on this? Personally I think I should still get the $80, even though I don't need the boxes. Maybe they can buy me $80 worth of gas. The main drawback to the delay is that there are many tech companies (see useful) that are waiting on these frequencies to make our lives better--not keep us in the technological stone age. There are billions of dollars tied up in this mess. I thought this new administration was about change and moving forward, but so far I don't see it.

The picture above is another onesie courtesy of my cousin Sarah. The way things have been going, I don't think we are going to have to buy anything for this child ever. People mess up by getting married and immediately having children. I say, get married and spend several years and lots of your own money doing whatever you want to do. Buy new cars. Buy a house. See the world. Convince everyone you know that you are never going to have children. When you finally do, people will be so excited that they will buy you anything you need. It probably doesn't hurt that we are just likable people. I don't mean this to sound tacky. We really do appreciate everything that we have received. This has just been a long week for me. I haven't felt good most of the week. It's not that I have felt bad, but I have a cough that won't go away. I do think it's getting better though. Tiffany made it back safely from Amarillo yesterday. She had gone with her brother and sister to visit her grandmother in the hospital. It was tough living without her for a couple of days, but both me and the cat survived.

One more thing: I think Michael Phelps getting busted is hilarious.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, #1 Nephew --
    I agree w/the transition comment. Didn't you know it's a "ploy" from the gov't to get more money? As to the "baby stuff scenario" -- that sounds a bit familiar to someone we all know & love! Sent you pics of our new "KIDS". Know they won't be as cute as yours & Tiff's.
    Love -- Aunt Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree-- I don't know what's up with the digital TV delay. We actually made the switch on January 15th here in Hawai'i. No problems-- people knew what they had to do. Of course, it probably helps that 85-90% of the TV's on the islands are also on cable. But I agree-- if people haven't acted in 3 years, what makes anybody think they'll get it done in the next 4 months. Kinda stupid if you ask me.
    Waiting to hear if Baby is a girl or a boy-- I'm betting on a girl. :-)
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I revise my guess???
    I'm guessing it's a boy. :-)
    Betty

    ReplyDelete