Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Dam Tour


We spent the better part of our last day just outside of Boulder City marveling over the great Hoover Dam. It was about a 30 minute drive from Vegas, and in my opinion well worth it. We expected to spend a couple of hours there and then drive back. As it turns out, we were there almost five hours. We took the official tour which took us into the power plant, as well as inside the dam. Probably the most impressive thing about it is that almost everything there is the original stuff from the 1930s. It is a classic example of doing it right the first time. After the tour, we looked at the exhibit halls and then just walked around for a while. It was a bit windy, but it was probably the best weather we had for the entire trip. After we got back to the hotel, we changed clothes and headed to the Luxor to see the new Cirque du Soleil show with Criss Angel. It was mostly just a magic show with weird costumes and imagery. We have now seen all six of the Cirque shows in Vegas, and I would probably rank this one toward the bottom. It wasn't bad by any means--just not anything special. I am a sucker for magic shows, and we have tickets to see David Copperfield here in Abilene this weekend. I have seen him several times, and I am never disappointed. Also, we have tickets to the musical Hairspray this week. I don't know if that's my thing or not, but I will let you know. Tiffany is at work tonight, which means I am waiting on her to watch the Oscars. Generally this is a major event at our house, but we saw so few movies this year I don't even really know what's going on. I have seen a total of zero movies that were nominated for Best Picture. Most years I catch at least four of the five. It doesn't help that I live in a small town, where most of these movies weren't even showing until last week. I do think Heath Ledger is probably going to win the Best Supporting Actor trophy. Tragic death never hurt anyone's popularity. I will admit that he was good in The Dark Knight, but otherwise I never thought much of him as an actor. He might be slightly better than Keanu Reeves. I admit, I still haven't seen Brokeback Mountain.

We stopped at the Las Vegas sign (see last blog posting) on the way to the Hoover Dam. I promise I didn't wear the same clothes everyday.


"Where can I get some Dam bait?" --Uncle Eddie, Vegas Vacation

3 comments:

  1. What did the fish say when it ran into a wall?

    Dam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When is the due date for Baby Boy Murray??
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hairspray? You just dropped a few points in my book. David C- more like it-remember that year we got the tickets in our big easter eggs on the stairs? How did that Harley bike get in the middle of the crowd??
    Heading to see Betty and Colby at the slopes this weekend- wish you guys were here!
    Callie

    ReplyDelete